Wednesday, February 9, 2011
The Lace Challenge
Why a lace challenge?
Fudwick likes holes.
It's all about negative space.
It's about time we had another challenge.
Jan said we could.
Some Rules which we reserve the right to change, but for now these look pretty inclusive.
0. We're including crochet in this one for all those hookers out there. Not sure how we're going to count up the holes/yarnovers, but I'll figure something out and post it here later.
1. You need to have purchased your yarn for your projects at Linden Hills Yarn.
2. February 4, 2011 was the start date, so your project cannot have been started before then. Swatching is ok and if you have a project you really, really, really want to get in the challenge, you are welcome to frog it and start over ; ).
3. The final day for submissions will be the last day of Spring June 20, 2011. You will need to bring in your project to be photographed and fill out your entry sheet for each entry on or before that date. If you are nice, Chris might help you count up your holes.
4. We'll be holding the prize drawings on the First Day of Summer June 21, 2011.
Behold the Holey Prize Matrix of Gift Certificates to be awarded and Redeemed at Linden Hills Yarn.
Adult Garment or shawl > 50% lace. One entry for each project of this type you complete. $30 by random drawing of all the entries.
Adult Garment or shawl < 50% lace. One entry for each project of this type you complete. $20 by random drawing of all the entries.
Accessory, Non Wearable & Children's wearable (i.e. hats, socks, chair cushion, dolly dress, lamp shade, etc.). One entry for each project of this type you complete. $10 by random drawing of all the entries.
Mileage. From cobweb weight to super chunky, for each 1/4 mile (440 yards) of yarn knit in your lace projects entered, you'll receive one chance in the random drawing. So if your total yards knitted in all your entered projects is ten miles you'll have 40 chances at winning. Hence, the more you knit for the challenge, the better your chances will be at winning this prize. $30
Most holes. This prize will be awarded to the individual with the largest cumulative total of Holes/YarnOvers in their work. You'll also get to count each nupp as a YarnOver even though it's not a hole. Why? Because Kathy W. wanted extra credit. If you want to make nupps in your lace then by all means make nupps!
$40 and the title "Holey Dominator of Lace"